Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 026

Today, I was going through http://www.geekologie.com and found these pictures of fallen Disney Princesses.

As I kept looking through the pictures, I was astounded by Dina Goldstein's work.

"As a yound girl growing up abroad, I was not exposed to Fairytales. These new discoveries lead to my fascination with the origins of Fairytales. I explored the original brothers Grimm stories and found that they have very dark and sometimes guresome aspects, many of which were changed by Disney...

...I began to imagine Disney's perfect Princesses justaposed with real issues that were affecting women around me, such as illness, addiction and self-image issues." Goldstein says of her inspiration.

"With limited funds I began to assemble my series, incorporating many important details in each image. Cinderella sits in a dive bar on Vancouver's infamous Hastings Street. Snow White is trapped in a domestic nightmare, surrounded my unkempt children with a lazy, out of work prince in the background...

...Rapunzel deals with Cancer in a hospital room, sitting beside her long blonde wig. An overweight Red Riding Hood is on her way to grandma's, carting fast food in her basket."

In my opinion, Disney Princesses are so perfect, so surreal. The imperfections they portray in the pictures give them another dimension, different from what we see in the movies. It makes them real.
It shows me that no matter how perfect something may be, there will always be flaws. Especially in the society we live in; it may look perfect, but if you really look, not just with your eyes but with your heart as well, you'll see what's really going on. Poverty. Homelessness. Addiction. It's all there.

Much Love & God Bless,
- The Girl In Her Own World

No comments:

Post a Comment